Husband and Kids in the States - Residency Status

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

homesick

Husband and Kids in the States - Residency Status

Post by homesick »

Hello all,
My husband took a job with a US company in July 2009 and he has been working there since then. I also have a working visa and I have been applying for the jobs but I have not had any luck as of yet. In the mean time our primary residence has been sold and we have moved our house down south - kids moved in with dad. I have been trying to either find a job or get a buyout package from my current Canadian employer ( they have let go a lot of people go last year with packages) but I have not been able to do so. Now I am planning to quit my job and move in with my family in the States. But my employer suggested I could take a year of leave of absence to look for a job in the States and if things go south I could come back to my job.
How would that affect our Canadian residency ?
Even if I do not take the leave of absence when does our US residency start ? Is it the date we moved our home or will it be date when I move in with my family ?
Currently I am staying with a friend - since we do not have a house in Canada.
Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your husband is US resident from day he left for work. You will be the day you leave for US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
homesick

Post by homesick »

thanks Nelsona. Do you think one year leave of absence with my Canadian employer affect my residency status if I choose not to come back at the end of it.

thanks again
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

no. you will be non-resdient while in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D