filing status for US and Canada returns

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lanman2000

filing status for US and Canada returns

Post by lanman2000 »

Hello,

My wife and I are both US citizens and both currently canadian residents. This year we will be filing both US and Canada tax returns. For the past 10 years we have filed as "married filing jointly" in the US. I understand that in Canada you cannot file jointly. Does this mean we now have to file "Married Filing Separately" in the US to keep things straight when going back and forth for tax credits and such??

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your US and Cdn returns are filed according to differnt rules in each country.

You divvy up the tax as I outlined in your other post. If your spouse makes 1/4 of the income, she gets to use 1/4 of your MFJ 1040 tax as a credit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

perfect that makes sense. Thanks!

I get the whole "one question per thread" thing now. Sorry about asking all these subsequent questions buried in that thread last week. :)