Tax on Dividends from U.S. for Canadian Residents

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

vmanasvi

Tax on Dividends from U.S. for Canadian Residents

Post by vmanasvi »

I am a new Canadian Resident, non-resident U.S. Alien - I own 2 different companies a C-Corp in the U.S. and a Federal CCPC in Canada. If the U.S. company pays out dividends -

1. What is the tax treatment of those dividends in Canada?
2. Do I need to file for any taxes in the U.S. as well?
nelsona

Re: Tax on Dividends from U.S. for Canadian Residents

Post by nelsona »

1. The US dividends are treated like ORDINARY income, fully taxable in Canada (no gross-up and no dividend tax credit).
2.There are many factors that would affect how the dividends are taxed in US, depending on how they are paid, and what king of permanent establishment the company has.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Whatever tax one eventaully pays in US would then be used as a foreign tax credit on your Cdn return, upto 15%.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

and don't forget C corp filing 1042 series of 3 forms, the treaty reduced rate of w/h of dividends paid to Canada can be either 15% or 5%, the latter where 10% ownership exists.