Canadian Permanent resident in US, Canadian income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shanx

Canadian Permanent resident in US, Canadian income

Post by shanx »

I am working in the US on EAD status and I am a Canadian permanent resident. I have a Canadian company that wants me to execute a simple 1 month project for them.

Questions:

a. Do I need to get paid only through my US employer or can I work with them directly as a Canadian permanent resident and fie Canadian taxes?

b. If I ask the Canadian company to pay my US employer and get paid in a roundabout manner, do I need to file for both US and Canadian taxes?

Please reply as soon as possible -- I need to give a reply to this party soon.

Thanks,
shanx
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

a) with ead you can do what you want, and be paid however you wish.

b) you will be paid directly. You should be paid as a contractor, and will owe no tax in Canada. Only fiel a non-resident return if tax is withheld.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
shanx

Thanks!

Post by shanx »

Perfect .. I was going nuts thinking about double taxation and worried that I might make a mistake somewhere. Thanks for clarifying it. Now I can peacefully work with this Canadian company and only pay US taxes.

Thanks,
shanx