How to claim IVF fertility medical expenses

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shocker

How to claim IVF fertility medical expenses

Post by shocker »

Hi,

I'm a single woman and I've done an IVF (Invitro Fertilization) treatment to have a baby. Last year 2009 I did the treatment and planning to show the expenses in my tax filiing for 2009. Since, the expenses are not covered by my insurance and the cost is over 15k I'm really looking to get some refund.
In some online forums, I saw people who did IVF, said that maximum 25% can be reclaimed through tax return but I don't know how. I do my taxes with an accountant but before going to him I would like to know if this is true and if so how or where to put this information? Since this will be a medical expense, how should it be put to get at least 25%?

I make around 23K gross income/yr and I'm a single person. I would greatly appreciate if someone can provide some input on this.

Thanks,
Ehda