Joint Account or Not?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

artsee

Post by artsee »

Whether you bring in the money with you at the time you enter Canada, or wire transfer it, if the amount is in excess of $10,000 you will have to complete a declaration as to the source of the funds to satisfy the government that the funds were not acquired through the proceeds of crime.

If you wish to keep your entry to Canada as simple as possible, bring $10,000 with you and keep the balance in your US account. Once you open your Canadian account, give your US bank instructions to transfer the funds to your Canadian bank and then you can close your US account.

In the alternative, bring your entire funds with you when you cross and make the required declarations. Have evidence of your bank withdrawal in support of where the funds came from.
artsee

Post by artsee »

Whether you bring in the money with you at the time you enter Canada, or wire transfer it, if the amount is in excess of $10,000 you will have to complete a declaration as to the source of the funds to satisfy the government that the funds were not acquired through the proceeds of crime.

If you wish to keep your entry to Canada as simple as possible, bring $10,000 with you and keep the balance in your US account. Once you open your Canadian account, give your US bank instructions to transfer the funds to your Canadian bank and then you can close your US account.

In the alternative, bring your entire funds with you when you cross and make the required declarations. Have evidence of your bank withdrawal in support of where the funds came from.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm looking at buying a dog.

Should I buy a big german shepherd or a Yorkie.

Oh yes, to make this relevant to the tax forum:

will I be taxed on the purchase[?]

Carson, marte, or anyone else with a <i>good heart</i>, please answer, please.
[:p]

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
marte

Post by marte »

Chances are, you might be taxed heavily 'cause you either smell or look like a dog. Canada doesn't welcome the type of dog like you. And yes, the immigration officer doesn't have a heart on a dog like you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Easy, Marte.

I can walk in and out of Canada and US, anytime I want without question, even on four legs.

You can't quite say the same, can you?

marte

Post by marte »

Well, any puppy can walk in and out between US and Canada. A puppy follows ****. In the end, all a dog does is to either bark or wave his tail...and ****. Which one do you usually do?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I guess its the sniffing part, like I sniffed that this was a loser thread 10 days ago.

My nose knows.[:D]

marte

Post by marte »

Your nose knows? Dogs are good at sniffing.