Fresh H-1B: resident or NON-resident alien for W-4

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

akaltche

Fresh H-1B: resident or NON-resident alien for W-4

Post by akaltche »

I am a Canadian citizen, have resided in Ontario, and just moved to the US to teach in public school on H-1B. My job starts August, 2. My employer (who has never hired aliens before) gave me W-4 to fill out.

I have 3 children and it would be nice to claim personal exemption for them as well as Child Tax Credit on my W-4.

Should I now fill my <b>W-4</b> as a <b>resident</b> or <b>NON-resident</b> alien? If I am NON-resident alien now, then will I become resident one? In 183 days?
<b>THANKS!</b>
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your w-4 merely indicates your employer's withholding , not your final tax obligation.

it thus really doesn't matter how you fill out you w-4. fill it like all your co-workers do. resident, with as many exemptions as possible.

what will matter will be how you file your tax return next spring. this is when you true us tax status will be clearly spelled out.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>