Help - with U.S. son buying condo/loft in Toronto

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

spark1946

Help - with U.S. son buying condo/loft in Toronto

Post by spark1946 »

My u.s. son has obtained full time work in Toronto.
And now seeks to purchase a condo there.
I will have to be on the moRtgage with him . What do we need to know?
Can I use my 401 account to help with the purchase ?
What is the minimum downpayment req'd. by Canadian MortgaGE COMPANIES?
Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why would he need you to co-sign for the mortgage? The whole idea of a mortgage is that the property itself secures the loan; having other security as collateral is contra-indicated.

Most Cdn institutions (he will have to get a Cdn mortgage) would likely see little value in having you co-sign, as you are 'out-of-reach' of the creditors.

If he is working, he should be able to get a mortgage on his own; the banks will do this based on his income, the property he's buying, and his downpayment. 5% is the standard minimum these days, I believe.

This is not like he is buying a used car.

You may consider lending him some money for the downpayment, but you won't and shouldn't be party to the mortgage.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
mgl

Post by mgl »

You cannot use your 401k to help with the mortgage downpayment without taking an early withdrawal penalty. If you had a Canadian RRSP and you were buying the home for yourself and it was your first home, you could use your RRSP with the downpayment I believe, but your 401k won't help with this purchase.

Downpayments less than 25% are high ratio mortgages and must be insured. You can get a mortgage with as little as 5% down, but it varies between firms.

Your son can go to his bank and seek a pre-approval certificate which will help him understand what he can borrow.