Cutting Ties With Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Doogie

Cutting Ties With Canada

Post by Doogie »

What does somebody have to do to cut ties with Canada for the purpose of being a non-resident and not having to pay taxes in Canada?

Other than the obvious things like not owning a home, how about bank accounts? Can I still keep a savings account in a Canadian bank? Do I need to cash in my RRSPs? How about credit cards? Can I have a life insurance policy with a Canadian life insurance company? Just what are the rules?

I don't imagine for one minute that the rules are straightforward!!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm sure you have looked over NR73 from CRA.

It lists al the things that CRTA consideres ties, bith major and minor.

If yo uare moving to a treaty country (like US), 'house and spouse' are the only two things that should not remain in Canada.

Bank accounts, RRSPs, even a job, are secondary ties, and would only go to 'intent' to remain abroad.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
Dudly

Post by Dudly »

I am on the same boat. Just wondering if I rent my house in Canada out for the purpose of cutting off the ties to Canada, am I required to rent to a Canadian or I can rent to anybody, say an American friend? I guess I need to show the official signed lease agreeement, right?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Anyone that is not a direct relative is fine, and it must be at market value, and must be consistently rented

Typically, if you rent it out, consider your self non-resident, until CRA comes looking for you, then you present lease.

The important thing is when you rent you MUST <b>MUST </b> be having 25% tax withheld (or a CRA deterrmined reduced rate) and sent monthly to CRA. This is the surest way that CRA will accept that you are non-resident if you have Cdn property.

davidyulca

Post by davidyulca »

Can he just leave the home empty so that it is available for occasional visits back to Canada and for the use of his adult children? Or should he give (or sell the house) to his adult children.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Leaving the house unoccupied is insufficent to break res ties.

Leaving it -- even renting it -- to one's children is not sufficient.

That is not to say that one moving to US would not avoid Cdn taxation on his US income. In such a case the treaty provisions on residence would override, and one would be classified a DEEMED NON-RESIDENT.

But, if leaving for a non-treaty country, like Saudi, or many of the West Indies, this arrangent would be as if the person never left.

Look at IT-221 from CRA on residency, keeping in mind that US has a treaty.

Dudly

Post by Dudly »

Thanks a bunch, nelsona. But I am a little confused here. Currently I am working in US on H1B. Does that mean I will be deemed non-resident no matter whether I have a house in Canada or not just because the tax treaty between US and Canada? Thanks again for your advice.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Let's be clear (and you should be looking at the CRA definitions for all these statuses).

If you keep a place to live in Canada, while <b>also </b> at the same time living and working in US, you will be a 'deemed non-resident' which means you report ALL world income to CRA, but then deduct your US income before calculating your Cdn tax. You are subject to all the other non-resident tax regimes, like NR tax on rent, interest, RRSP withdrawals, etc.

So you report and then deduct, which, unless you have third-country income is exactly like being considered a factual non-resident.

To be a factual non-resident, you would need to rent out your house continually, in a non-arm's length arrangement, which means non-family and market rate, 12 months a year.

As I said, the distinction becomes important if you move to a country that doesn't have a treaty with Canada.

The DNR status comes as a result of the ultra-rich who were maintaining flimsy Cdn residential ties in order to avoid demeed disposition in the mid-90's.

Feds enacted changes to the tax code that allowed such fence-sitters to be 'pushed' out of Cdn residency because of their obvious ties in other countries, most notably US.

A side advantgae, especially now that huge cap gains wndfalls are a thing of the past, is that one can, with little changes in their Cdn living arragements, become a DNR, simply by outweighing their Cdn presence with a presence in another country.

In a unutshell, when one moves to a treaty country, one's focus should be less on CUTTING Cdn ties, but more on ESTABLISHING ties in the new country.
gogogo

Post by gogogo »

Cutting ties with Canada is easy...you just need a scissor or knife.
Dudly

Post by Dudly »

Nelsona, you mentioned "The important thing is when you rent you MUST MUST be having 25% tax withheld (or a CRA deterrmined reduced rate) and sent monthly to CRA. This is the surest way that CRA will accept that you are non-resident if you have Cdn property." How would I have 25% tax withheld and send monthly to CRA? Should I send them a check? Besides, can I send USD since I will get rental payment in USD? Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

A Cdn agent (not you) is supposed to collect the rent and remit the withholding to CRA. It can be a relative, it can even be the renter himself.

But, bottom line is that every month, 25% (or less if pre-arranged with CRA) must be withheld and sent directly to CRA. Its not supposed to go thru your hands, just like any other NR withholding.

Please read the CRA information on this topic. It is quite clear.