RRSP withdrawal while living in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

msieloff

RRSP withdrawal while living in US

Post by msieloff »

If I am a green card holder and retire in the US, can I withdraw from my RRSP as if I would be in Canada? Does the withdrawal simply add to my income in the US Do I need to file a Canadian return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As anon-resident, the process for withdrawl of RRSPs is slightly different. If you take lump-sum RRSP withdrawals, they will be taxed 25% by canada, you will also have to pay some tax to US, depending on how much of the RRSP is taxable in US.

If you take periodic withdrawals fro ma RRIF, you will only be taxed 15% by CRA, with the same tax rules applied for IRS as above. So, it would certainly be in your interst to convert your RRSP into a RRIF

Of course, you mus know what your cost basis when arriving in US was for your RRSP, and that you should have been filing Form 8891 every year and TD 90 22-1 as well.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D