US Federal Pension and Canadian Taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jkkeith

US Federal Pension and Canadian Taxes

Post by jkkeith »

We are considering relocating/retiring to Canada from the US. It is unclear to me if US Federal pensions are taxable in Canada, since Social Secuity benefits are not taxable?

Also, if we stay in Canada for less than the 183 days max for visitors and make the required 72 hours return to the US before returning to Canada to start a new 183 day clock, as well as have a house in Canada and the US; would we be considered Canadian residents for tax purposes?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Fisrt off Social Security benefits ARE taxable in canada if you live in canada, just as they are in US if you live in US. Where did you get that notion? maybe you are getting mixed up wit hthe fct that Social security is not taxed in US when you live in canada (because it is taxed i ncanada instead, by treaty arrangement between the 2 countries).

And you fed pension would be taxable in US and in canada too, with credit given in canada for the US tax you would pay.

If you have a home in canada, you are a Cdn resident, unless you have overwhelming ties in another country. Visiting US for 3 days a year would make you a Cdn resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jkkeith

Post by jkkeith »

Well, thank you very much. Looks like you don't need my business. :?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not sure what that means....
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D