Need your expert opinion

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

aawaterloo

Need your expert opinion

Post by aawaterloo »

I have read some of the messages on this forum and I firmly believe there is very knowledgeable people here who can help me. Here is the problem.

Jan to March-I worked for a company in Ontario full-time while living in Ontario
March to June-worked as a consultant for a company in the USA (funds received on my company name under sole proprietorship). During this time, I lived in Ontario and performed services from my home office. I filled out the W-7 form etc with the company.
June to present: working for a company in Michigan fulltime on a TN visa while commuting from Windsor, Ontario
Wife received some unemployment benefits in 2009 from the Govt. of Canada. She was laid off in 2008.
Status: Canadian Citizen, married, 2 kids, resident of Ontario

How should I file my taxes? Where should I report what income?

Thanks,
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You and your wife should both file cdn returns of course, reporting all world income, just as if you had earned everything in ontario.

YOU should also be filing a 1040NR in US, reporting only your MI wages.

Once you determine the IRS, MIchigan, and FICA you owed/paid on your wages, you use this amount to take foreign tax credit on your Cdn return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
aawaterloo

Post by aawaterloo »

Thanks a lot.