Moving Funds to US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

liis_todd

Moving Funds to US

Post by liis_todd »

Hello
I'm a green card holder that would like to transfer Canadian funds in Vancouver to my bank in Seattle. This is NOT income or an RRSP. This was money already earned before moving to the US. It has been collecting interest in a term deposit, and I have been declaring the interest each year to the IRS. I cannot cash it out until June, however we are looking at buying property in the spring and I would like to have the cash on hand as down payment. I have opened a Line of Credit against that account to be able to "borrow" against the account. I will be using Custom House Currency Exchange to transfer the funds.

Question: As this is not income, and as taxes are current and income declared, am I free to move this money without any penalty?

cheers
LT
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No problem
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D