Departing TN and Expatriation Tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jim34

Departing TN and Expatriation Tax

Post by jim34 »

I am a canadian citizen who worked in the US under a TN visa for 10 years before returning to canada. While in the US I was a resident filing a 1040 and not a resident of Canada. I am trying to determine whether Expatriation Tax is something that applies to me.
The expatriation tax applies not only to renounced citizens, but also to long term residents who have ended their residency.
Long term resident is defined as a lawful permanent resident of the US in at least 8 of the last 15 tax years.
I would really like not to have to file this expatriation tax and therefore be also obliged to file a 1040NR for the next 10 years. I am not sure if a TN visa should be considered a lawful permanent resident (seems unlikely).

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you were required to pay expat tax, it would be on a 1040, not a 1040NR.

But, look at the criteria for expat tax: if you qualify, you can afford professional tax advice, since it is basically for millionaires.

... and returning to the country from which you came also exempts most people from expat tax anyways.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
testone

Post by testone »

A lawful permanent resident means a green card. Your TN visa is not a green card. Therefore, you are not subject to the expatriation rules.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Testone is correct. Earlier, the defininition of LTR (long term resident) was more vague, and could be interpreted to include resident aliens (those living in US but without GC). The definitions have been tightened to include only US citizens and those holding LPR (GC-holders) for many years.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D