Commissions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ken2300

Commissions

Post by ken2300 »

I am working as an outside sales agent for a company. They require I set up a numbered company and payment will go to my company. Since I only earn commissions, I would like to know how I would should pay myself over the course of the tax year?
baby_king_bob

Post by baby_king_bob »

Ken, are you a Canadian or American? Paid by a Canadian or American enterprise?

Probably irrelevant, as you will want to obtain professional advice either way.

For example, in Canada, your first concern will be all options available to you in setting up the corporation, especially with respect to current and future income splitting opportunities and risk management considerations.

You will also want to ensure you've addressed GST and provincial sales tax issues.

Even with regards to paying yourself, a 30 minute conversation with a professional will be far more productive than exchanging questions/answers (and personal information) on an internet forum, which would probably be more conducive to more specific questions.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yup. And that could be said for all forums and weebsites.

But we are here, and provide some value....
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
baby_king_bob

Post by baby_king_bob »

having been here only briefly I can still see the value provided by the many knowledgeable contributors. however, speaking specifically from the perspective of Canadian tax planning, this issue in particular would be very difficult (near impossible) to properly address through this medium.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And if you'll notice, since this issue had absolutely nothing to do with cross-border, I made absolutely no attempt to answer it.

I try to keep this forum for cross-border issues.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D