US Citizen Living and Working In Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

teddi

US Citizen Living and Working In Canada

Post by teddi »

Hello,

I'm a US citizen with a PR status in Canada. I moved here in 2006 and been working here since then. I have also been filing my taxes here in Canada and I did not know that I have to file taxes in the US as well until recently.

I am also getting confused now on this "voluntary disclosure " thing that the IRS has put out.

I really am at a lost on how to report my income to the US. I have no idea on what to do next. Should I contact an accountant from the US or find somebody here in the GTA area instead? Please help.
TeDDi
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to file all the returns you missed, including form 8891 for any RRSPs, and foreign banking report.

You probably don'y owe any tax, so I wouldn't overly worry about this, but get it done.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D