First time

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GTAresident

First time

Post by GTAresident »

I moved to US earlier this year and started working on TN visa and switched to H visa to get permanent residence from employment category.

I plan to file 1040 this year and T1 for partial period as a departure.

In addition to Canada, I am also a citizen of India and have income from there. I pay income tax and file return to all 3 countries.

How do I report my income on 1040? Do I claim credit for tax paid to India?
If I claim credit for tax paid and if I get refund for tax paid there, how is that to be accounted?

Since the system there is partial online and a lot paper based, it takes time to get returns processed , some times a year late.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your T1 will have all your CDn income and any Indian income until the departure.

Your 1040 will have ALL income for entire year from all sources.

You can then reduce your Cdn tax by claiming any Indian tax your paid on the Indian income you reported on your T1.

Same for US, but also any Cdn tax you paid can be used as a credit. Using form 1116.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
GTAresident

Post by GTAresident »

My teenage kid is a on dependent visa here in US. He cannot work here till he goes to college and convert to F visa.

Till then, for earning money during summar vacation if he plans to go to Ontario , live with his friend and earn some money, does that pose any issue in terms me deemed as a resident of Canada for tax purpose?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No that is fine.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D