US citizen working for a Canadian company

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

khesson

US citizen working for a Canadian company

Post by khesson »

I live in the US and am a US citizen. I have a job opportunity in Canada where I would live in the US and travel to Canada on some sort of regular basis. I would stay in a hotel while there. I would be paid from the Canadian office. It is a Canadian company.

1. Would I be subject to paying taxes in both countries?

2. Is there an income threshold at which point you are taxed in both countries?

3. Do I need a work visa--or just a passport?

Any help would be appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. As an employee, only your Cdn wages would be taxed in canada, and US. if you were simply a contractor, you would only report this income in US.

2. If your employee wages were less than C$10,000 you would be exempt from Cdn tax, and would only report in US.

3. You need a work visa. Canada is a separate country, with its own immigration laws.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
TxGuy5652

Post by TxGuy5652 »

Hi Nelsona,

I am a US citizen and looking for a contract work in Canada through Canadian headhunter. I would get paid from this headhunter. The headhunter's client is USA based company which has branch office in Canada. I would be working in headhunter's client office in Canada.

My questions are:

1. Because I am a USA contractor, I am not subject to tax in Canada. Is it correct?

2. Is it true that I need to hava canadian visa first before I work in Canada?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since the employer and the work are based in canada, you will be on the hook for Cdn tax, in my opinion (and require some visa). If the headhunter were a US firm, you might be eleigible for exemption.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D