Negative income tax for 2009 on 1040

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your RRSP limit is written on last year's assessment. NEXT year's RRSP Limit will be determined by the wages your report in 2009. Nothing you can change about this year's maximum.

Your RRSP has to stay in canada. If you want it in US, you would need to collapse RRSP>
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Hello,
Not clear how is the process of collapsing RRSP from Canada when we are now in US and no plan to return to Canada.

Can you please provide link?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Withdraw funds, pay 25% tax to canada. Use Cdn tax as a deduction on US return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Nelsona,
Thanks.

Does it have to be done this year only or can be done any time?

Considering first time home buyer credit plus mortgage interest makes my this years tax refund huge. Therefore I would to save the RRSP collapse to next year.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would wait until the year after your departure.
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

What are the options available for me to invest in retirement account in US when I collapse RRSP and bring money to US after paying 25 % taxes?

I have currently 401K from employer and my income is higher than threshold for traditional IRA.

If there is no option to invest in US, would it be possible to leave the money in US and convert into annuity so that like my employer pension from Canada, I can have additional income as pension from this investment at retirement age.
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Error in typing. Please read as Canada instead of US in last line.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You could buy a annuity, but this would not be agood time to do so.

Invest it in your home, which is tax sheltered
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Hello Nelsona,

Two questions.

1) One on your previous post just above this. Did you mean new home? If yes, by taking another mortgage from canadian bank?

2) I checked by last year's CRA assessment for RRSP limit for 2009. Let us call it as X. My 2009 RRSP contribution during the 6 month period while my family was in Canada was less than X, say Y. Therefore I have an option of buying additional GIC before Feb 2010 for amount X-Y.

Can I then collapse all my RRSP in Mar 2010 including the newly bought GIC if I wish to move the funds to US as an alternate option?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1, NO, I mean your US home.

2. Sure. make sure your GIC is not locked.