Negative income tax for 2009 on 1040

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Nishant

Negative income tax for 2009 on 1040

Post by Nishant »

To bring down my income to meet first time home owner criteria, I am making max allowable contributions to 401K.

Considering $ 8000 in refund and credit for income tax paid to Canada before declaring non resident, I anticipate I may have negative tax liability for 2009 when I file 1040.

Is such amount carried forward for 2010?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Don't forgat that your Cdn tax credit can't be used to lower the US tax on your US income, only the US tax on your Cdn income.

Genarally, Cdn tax is far more than you can use in US. It canb ecarried forward 10 years.

Do your 1116's with a tax program, and carefully identify your US and Cdn source income. You will see tha tyou cannot use much of your Cdn income tax on your 1116.

You do NOT get credit for any Cdn tax you paid on your US wages. Only Canada can credit you for US tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Not clear.
For first 6 months, I was deemed resident of Canada and would be paying taxes to Canada. Do I have pay tax to US as well for this period?

For next 6 months since I departed from Canada, I can understand tax paid to US.
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Hello Nelsona,
Can you please clarify.

1) If I have to pay tax to Canada on my 6 month income before becoming non resident, do I consider only US tax paid during that time as credit?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

When did you begin working in US, and when did you leave canada?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

As mentioned above, I started working from end 2008, my family moved to US on 27 Jun 09. We bought a house in US on 6/30 and leased canada house from July 09
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Canada:
Your US income is to be reported on your Cdn departure return, upto Jun27. Follow the CRA emigrants guide for this, as well as any Cdn income you had upto then (plus deemd diposition, etc).

Your rental income will be reported on a special 216 return.

US:

You will report ALL your couples income for entire year on your US return (1040), including CDN income.

Foreign tax credits:
Using the numbers from the 2 'draft' returns you haave just prepared,

On your US return, you will exclude any Cdn wages your wife had using Form 2555. Any other Cdn tax on any other Cdn income you report will be credited on several Form 1116s. You prorate the Cdn tax based on the amont of income each category had.

On your Cdn return, US tax paid on the US income you reported on your departure return, can be credited. Aagin, prorated based on the ammount of US incoem you repot vs. US tax you pay.
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Do I need to buy RRSP to get tax advantage for 6 month period while deemed resident of Canada or I can show my 401K contributions in place of RRSP?

Also how do I show 401K company match in my Canada return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

401(k) is now a deduction. Company match is not reported, since it is not income to you.
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Nelsona,
Thanks,

Since 401K is 6 %, RRSP upper limit is 18 % and since I now cannot go back to increase my 401K contribution for first 6 months of canadian deemed residence period, can I
1) Buy RRSP to max allowable for balance amount with Canadian bank and invest in either mutual fund or GIC?
2) What other options do I have to reduce taxes?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would question that your 401(k) limit is 6%. It is actually $15,500 for 2009.

Remember, for RRSP to be eligible for US tax deduction it MUST be contributed through your Cdn employer's plan. Contributing on your own will only reduce your Cdn tax.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Oh, I think I see where yo uare going.... yaeh you can contrbute all you want to your RRSP, so that the 401(k) portion from first half of year plus your RRSP won't be more than your RRSP contribution limit (as shown on your 2006 tax year assessment)
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

Hello Nelsona,

Another query to estimate my RRSP contribution. I had received large amounts on joining US employment under two headings
a) Moving allowance
b) Moving expense adjustment

Income tax through pay has already been deducted for both these . Will these two amounts have to be included as income during deemed residence period income?

Does CRA allow any amount as moving allowance exemption from any of above two amounts?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you recieved it before becomeing US resident, then yes, it is included in income.

Remember, you can only contribute RRSP upto the limit on your assessment minus your 401(k), so this years income will have no bearing on your RRSP limit.
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

First 6 months income while I was deemed resident of Canada plus moving allowance minus 401K contributions during first 6 months will decide my RRSP contribution if I want to avoid paying tax difference to CRA.

RRSP limit is 18 % of salary or C$ 21,000 whichever is less.

Using above formula, when I take RRSP and invest in say GIC, how do I bring it back to US or invest in US rather than continuing in Canada?