Calculating 1116 for Cdn Source Passive Income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

William

Calculating 1116 for Cdn Source Passive Income

Post by William »

I'm a US citizen residing in Canada. My Canadian source passive income has recently gotten high enough that I need to use form 1116. I do my Canadian taxes with UFile and know the percent of taxable income I paid in taxes. As for passive income from Canadian sources, I know I pay tax on 100% of my interest income and I believe I pay tax on 50% of my capital gains. I am confused as to how to determine what portion of my Canadian dividends are taxed. I get lost trying to follow the logic of Canada's dividend tax credit for qualified dividends. Can anyone give me a tip on how they calculate their Cdn dividends for 1116? I'm also not sure how to determine taxes paid on income that is categorized as "Other" on my T3 slips. I assume that, once I know the totals for each, I simply multiply each by the percent taxes I paid. Thanks.