moving to US on TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

zaxxon

moving to US on TN

Post by zaxxon »

I am in the process of moving to the US on TN status.I will be a full time employee in the US. I have a couple of questions.

1.For tax purposes, will i be considered a non-resident in the US in the current year. If so then how is it different from a resident tax filing.In Canada, i'll have to report, my world income, will there be a tax cut on that.

2. My wife is a permanent resident of Canada, she has a 10-year multiple entry visa for the US. Currently, she is visiting family in the Middle East. When she joins me, is it necessary to get the TD status. Say, if she takes the TD status does her 10-year visa get cancelled.

3. How easy is it to swich jobs on TN status?

4. After one year, if the employer does not want my services, how long can one stay to find another job?

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your tax situation in Canada will be based soley on your ties in Canada: if your spouse stays in Canada, you are considered never having left.

If you both MOVE to US, then she should get a TD visa, since her B visa implies living outside US, which would no longer be true.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>