Is my work ripping me off

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sebastian

Is my work ripping me off

Post by sebastian »

I got a job for the summer. Only going to work for about 8 weeks.
I got my first check for around $371. $59.12 of it was taxed for working 37 hours in that week. Next week I worked 1.38hours overtime (on top of the 37 hours) and I got taxed $67.80. So for that 1.38 hour I got taxed $8.00 more.

So in the end with all the calculations my overtime is only $1.50 more than my regular pay.

I know that working overtime can make me go into the higher tax bracket but I am not even going to make $4K with this job with or without overtime. Shouldnt I be taxed at the same rate as regular hours.

BTW, i live in Canada
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I wouldn't worry about it. The withholding rates are from tax tables or a computer program, so it's not his doing.

Note that these tax rates are based on you making the that ammount for 52 weeks, not just the 8 weeks you are working.

If your that upset, you should probably ask your employer to not withhold <b>any</b> tax, since you fall below the yearly minimum (you will fill out a TD1 form).

But any overpayment of tax that is withheld already can be recovered when you file your return next spring.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

What is the yearly minimum in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

About $8000.

Have you never filed a tax return, yet?

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Actually no never. This will be my first.

So I can just go and tell them that I will not make $8000 this year anyways and to not take my taxes off my checks?

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Yeah I filled out that TD1 form when I first started working there. I though filling out that form would mean that they would start taxing me after the $8000
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Clearly, you did not fill out the form correctly.

No matter; you will get it back next spring.

I think we've spent enough time on this.