US citizenship

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SergeP

US citizenship

Post by SergeP »

I am a Canadian and US GC holder. I am getting close to 10 year residency when I can apply to US citizenship. However eventualy I am going back to Canada. Could anyone clear out what are benifits of being a US citizen and live in Canda except of being able to go to US without any restrictions? The downside is that I always should do US taxes.
Thank you.
Serge
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

First off, 5 years is the requirement for citzenship, not 10. What made you theink 10? the expiry date on the card or soemthing?

Advantages are that citizwnship can't be taken away from you when you leave US. GC can, and will if you do not maintain signifant US ties AND plans to return permanently. Its called pemanent residency for a reason.

On the other hand, it is more onerous to renounce citizenship than simply renounce GC. Either way though you are going to remain taxable whether you maintain GC or citizenship.

Given you've been in US 10 years now, my sense is that you would want to keep the ability to return there freely, no?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Nelsona – Question Permanent Resident residing in the US from 1991 thru 2001. In 2001 I changed Permanent resident card over to Permanent resident Commuter. Lived in Canada and Commuted daily to the US for work. In 2008 Moved back to the US and Changed status back over to just the Permanent resident card, received my new card from Home Land Security. Always filed taxes 1040 for all years.

Does the 5 years start the day I returned back to the US or can I use the any part of the 10 years that I already spent in the US as a lawful permanent Resident?. Since my wife is an American Citizen I think it 3 years and not 5.

I know this is the tax area of the forum, but saw the question and thought I’d give it a shot.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are correct: this a tax foum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Dam I new you where going to say that. I will post in other section. Thanks.