another 8891 question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

andied

another 8891 question

Post by andied »

My daughter opened an RRSP last year and I filed an 8891 for her, but now I see that I inadvertently omitted the plan number on the 8891 - all the other4 info was correct.

Should I amend the 2007 8891, or just include the plan number for 2008?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would simply fix this year's. BTw, is she electing to defer income, yet? If she has low income, she could hold off and build up her non-taxable amount in future.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
andied

Post by andied »

Great suggestion RE delaying the deferral of income. Unfortunately I did check box 6c last year so I guess that option is eliminated. With all the forms for US/Can for myself and two daughters, I sometimes have brain cramps. Your helpful advice in this forum is greatly appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just as an aside, although you report your daughters as dependents, you do not pay their income tax.

What are you then reporting an 8891 'for them'.If they are taxable, they should report not you.

Also, just because it might be of interst to others, how are they able to contribute tor RRSP?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
andied

Post by andied »

My daughters are young adults and do file their own tax returns; I try to help them with the forms. Sorry for any confusion.