Canadian working for US firm on a TN visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Barcelona1796

Canadian working for US firm on a TN visa

Post by Barcelona1796 »

Hello All,

I am a Canadian citizen working for an American company on a TN visa. I have been working for my American employer since July, 2019. I obtained a social security number in June of 2018 during a 3 month internship for the same company on a J-1 visa (lived in the USA for 3 months that summer. This was also the first time i lived/worked in the states apart from starting my fulltime work in July 2019).
Fast-forward to March 2020 (pandemic began), we started working from home. I left for Canada in late March and have been here since working from home.
I notified my company of my location change and they informed me that if i spend more than 180 days in Canada, there will be tax complications for them and myself. I have not had any further conversations regarding my location change since then. However, I am hoping that there will be some sort of exception due to Covid. I understand that I am capable and permitted to travel back to the USA when I wish, but I am fearful for my health due to the excessive case counts and I feel more comfortable at home with my family during this time.

In regards to my 2019 tax returns. I filed my American taxes without reporting any foreign income, Same with my Canadian taxes (both taxes done with turbo tax), I did not report any foreign income. I filed each tax return as if i was living in each respective country without foreign ties. I have received both my US and Canadian tax returns. I have not transferred any money from my American account to Canadian accounts for fears that I may be in violation with the CRA. I am in the process of trying to find a tax accountant who specializes in cross border taxes.

After reading this forum and other online posts of people in similar situations, I have concerns I might be getting a surprise from the CRA when doing this years taxes, transferring money OR when I ultimately return to Canada. The number one question I have is the following: Can I transfer money from my American bank account to Canadian bank account without repercussions or consequences considering my current tax filing situation/status? Can I do so or would this raise a red flag with the CRA (can they track such transactions?) while I get my taxes properly sorted out? (For context I am looking to transfer a fairly large amount, approx 15k).

Other American Assets: I am enrolled in my companies employee stock program, I am not enrolled in 401k. I also have a few stocks on robinhood but have not made any profit.

Additional Info: My employer and its lawyers are also in the process of getting me an H1B visa. The lawyers told me that since I am outside the country it probably won't be fully promised until I return to the USA. (I have received a pay increase recently as a result of the processing of my H1B visa, just so you get an idea of which stage I am at)

Other Canadian Assets: I have a TFSA account that has made very small interest gains probably total $5 since I left for fulltime work in the USA. I have no other assets except for a valid drivers license and health card.

Summarizing Question: What other actions do I need to take to ensure I am in compliance with both the CRA and IRS? And finally, am I able to freely transfer (Wire) money from my American savings account to Canadian bank account without tax consequences?

I am really really sorry for the long post. I just wanted to make sure I gave full context. Thank you so much for your time!

- C
joefonte

Re: Canadian working for US firm on a TN visa

Post by joefonte »

I'm a long time follower of this forum and I would recommend them.

After countless hours of reading in hindight I wish I just had hired them when I first moved to the US. I would recommend you do the same.

It will cost more than TurboTax, but look 3-5 years out and know that it will be well worth it.