Canada foreign tax credit and/or 20(12) deduction.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

chemist

Canada foreign tax credit and/or 20(12) deduction.

Post by chemist »

Hi all,

I realized I have more US tax paid than I would need for federal foreign tax credits (It is sad but is true!).

I just read somewhere that one can make a partial deduction of those excess US tax paid on line 232 of T1 under 20(12). This will lower the taxable income I understand. But I realize this will also reduce my provincial foreign tax credits.

Tried to read and understand 20(12), too complicated for a chemist.
Anyone can clarify?

:?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your interpretation is incorrect. Only if your foreign tax credited was limited by treaty would it then become a dedcution. You simply have more than you can use.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

limited by treaty OR STATUTE. Yours was limited by math.

Your two choices are to revisit your US filing to see if there is some deductions etc tha tyou are missing OR, to lkook at your Cdn return, to see if there are some 'optional' dedcutions and credits that you are currently taking that can be postponed to a future year (such as RRSP contributions, or charitable donations, deduction for which which are not required to be takein in the year that they are made).

You would need to give me more info about your US filing status, as I would think that if you are filing 1040NR, you mayhave alternatives.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
chemist

Post by chemist »

Thanks a lot. Yes, I am filing 1040NR.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If yopu are married, there is a article XXV clause which lets you determine a lower tax RATE on your 1040NR, by filling out a MFS 1040, taking advantage of all the tax breaks that are given thee.