Tax filing Status in the US for year 2008

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Miss Emkay

Tax filing Status in the US for year 2008

Post by Miss Emkay »

Dear members,

My husband and I are Canadian citizens, but I think it is irrelevant in my situation. As far as Revenue Canada is concerned, my husband and I are non-residents as of March 2005.
My husband and I lived and worked in the US on TN status from March 2005 to April 2008. For years 2005, 2006 and 2007, we filed 1040 Married Filing Jointly.
We packed our bags, vacated our apartment, pulled kids out of school and relocated to India on May 01, 2008.
My husband's employment terminated as of April 2008. But my company allowed me to work remotely till end of September 2008.
My husband and I had no employment in India in 2008.
We live in India on a "U" visa, which is a life long visa to live and work.

Arizona state and Federal taxes continued to be deducted from my pay as if I never left the country (I never made any changes to W-4 on file).

1. What is my filing status for 2008 - Resident or Non-resident?
2. What is my husband's filing status for 2008 - Resident or Non-resident?
3. Will I have Arizona tax liability on the income I earned working remotely from India from May to September 2008?
4. Will I have Federal tax liability on the income I earned from May to September 2008 working remotely India from May to September 2008?
5. Even though we left the country, since my employment was active, would my visa status have continued to be TN until September 2008? Whatever my status might have been, is that a significant factor in my tax filing status?

Please advice. Thanks.

Best regards,

Miss Emkay