Non-registered GIC question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mshav1

Non-registered GIC question

Post by mshav1 »

I am a Canadian citizen and living in the US since Jan 2008. This is my first year to file US taxes. I have a couple of questions:

• I wanted to verify if I should enter the value of my non-registered GIC in 8891
• My Canadian bank has indicated that even though the GIC I have is non-registered, when I withdraw the funds at maturity that it will be subject to taxes. Is this true?

I appreciate any response. Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

8891 is for RRSP only.

The bank is acting like it is an RRSP. Better clear that up.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
andied

Post by andied »

The GIC interest earned will be subject to tax, but the principle should not be taxable.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

[quote="andied"]The GIC interest earned will be subject to tax, but the principle should not be taxable.[/quote]

Of course, but this is not what the bank is telling our poster.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
andied

Post by andied »

My previous comment was assuming it is in fact a non-registered GIC.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is what we are trying to determine. A bank saying that a witdrawl is subject to tax leads me to think the bank is saying they are registered, as 'withdrawing' the funds from a GIC has no bearing on taxation: interest has already been taxable each year or at maturity, whether its rolled into another GIC or not.
mshav1

Post by mshav1 »

Thank you for the replies.
The account is a non-registered GIC. I received a T5, I called BNS to inquire if I have the right tax slip for non-residents. The CSR that I was speaking to said that I should include it in my 8891 because it is subject to withholding when taken out.

I called my actual branch this am and they confirmed that the CSR was giving the wrong info.

I guess my next question….can I declare the T5 income in my US tax return vs filing a Canadian tax return? I received no other income in Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yeah, the telephlunkie you first spoke to was a moron.

Your T5 does not have any tax withheld does it? It shouldn't. there is no reason to file a Cdn tax return. Cdn interest is not reportable on a non-res return, and no NR tax is withheld since jan 01, 2008.

The interest on your GIC is subject to US tax, so simply include the income, in the year of maturity (the US allows interest to be reported on a cash basis, rather than the accrual method which must be used in canada.)

There is np such thing as a 'withdrawal' of a GIC. The GIC matures. Then you can do what you want with the proceeds.