social security totalization?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Tania

social security totalization?

Post by Tania »

Can some one explain the social security totalization agreement between Canada & US?

I have 24 credits for social security for the time I worked in the US. I need 40 credit to receive full social security and Medicare. I am wondering whether I can combine my credits from Canada to US credits for social security to come up with 40 credits for the US?

Does anyone know how to request that? If I can get the Canadian credits trasfered & with them I will have 40 credits and then I can get full medicare now. which is a big deal in the US.<font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono">
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The counting of Cdn credits can only be used to make up the required eligibility for Social security, not medicare, and will only be referred to once you have finsished your SS contribution 'career'(ie. when you reach the age to start collecting SS).

At that point any shortfall in number of quarters would be 'made up' by seeing how many years you worked in Canada.

But for Medicare, you need to qualify strictly with your US credits.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
Tania

Post by Tania »

It seems like when one gets 40 credits for medicare from working in the US then the person automatically will have 40 credit from the US work as well. So then what is the use of counting canadian credits for social security when one reachs the age of 65 if the person already has 40 US credits?

This seems like something that has a lot of red tapes and only very few would benefit from it.

So you are saying Nelsona that way a person who comes to US when he is in 60 and work 5 years in the US will have 20 credits and the rest of the 20 credit he can get from Canada to make up 40 credit for SS will receive full SS benefits But No medicare benefits whatsoever?

Then he has to get private health insurace with $$$$ and it is very very expensive in that age range. Can he keep Candian health insurance while receiving US SS?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It seems like when one gets 40 credits for medicare from working in the US then the person automatically will have 40 credit from the US work as well. So then what is the use of counting canadian credits for social security when one reachs the age of 65 if the person already has 40 US credits<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's the whole point, SSA does not want to grant medicare coverage based on foreign work. It doesn't mind crediting people for regular SS benefits, because US workers outside US can also benefit from the foreign Social SEcurity too. The other 'developed' countries in the world have Universla healthcare anyways.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So you are saying Nelsona that way a person who comes to US when he is in 60 and work 5 years in the US will have 20 credits and the rest of the 20 credit he can get from Canada to make up 40 credit for SS will receive full SS benefits But No medicare benefits whatsoever?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If he contributes a minimum of 5 years, but less than 10, he can PAY MORE to get medicare coverage. Maariage to a US citizen can also permit one to get this "cost-added" Medicare.

And he will NOT get <b>full</b> SS benefits, only partial (roughly 25% of what a fully US-qualified SS contributor would). The totalization agreement is not there to throw money at people, it is there to provide a measure of equity for those who work in two or more countries.

Coming to the US at 60, given the current Health cost situation, is not a financially sound decision.

I would suggest, if the subject of medicare interests you, that you do some research on it.

But the totalization agreement is silent on Medicare <u>because that is the way the US GOv't wants it.</u>

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>