US revocable trust reporting in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

andied

US revocable trust reporting in Canada

Post by andied »

I am a dual citizen, living in Canada, and have a couple of CD's with US banks and have designated my children as beneficiaries. The banks usually refer to this as POD (paid on death), but I believe it is legally considered a revocable trust, and if so, does it require reporting as a foreign trust to the CRA?
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

I have the same question. Did you ever figure it out?
andied

Post by andied »

Yes, I called Canada Revenue and spoke to a person in the section dealing with trusts and was told that this type of trust is not one that needs to be reported.
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

cool i'll call them then. Mine is a little different than yours since it is an actual trust that was written out and recorded and covers all of our assets (not just bank accts).

thx!
andied

Post by andied »

I would definitely check with CRA, if it is a formal trust. Ask specifically to speak with someone in the trust section; they will probably take your number and get back to you in a day or two. If you do need to report the trust to the CRA, the forms look reasonably straightforward, as compared to 3520/3520A for the IRS.

Interesting user name, any association with oil and natural gas in the US?
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

no association with oil or nat gas.

it stands for "local area network manager" and the year 2000. :)