last year of business in Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bordercrossing

last year of business in Canada?

Post by bordercrossing »

Hi, I'm a Canadian citizen moving to the US in late January 09 on a K-1 fiance visa, so my move is permanent. I have two questions.

I am a freelance writer who files my Canadian taxes accordingly, with self-employment income. From past tax years, I know there is the question "Is this your last year conducting business?" on the tax forms. What I am wondering, is it best for me to consider 2008 my last self-employment year in Canada, or wait until I file my 2009 exit return?

I don't anticipate any income or expenses for January, as I am only here for a few weeks before making the move. But is it better to "end" my business activities at the same time I complete my final 2009 exit return? Or should I just do that now, for my 2008 return? Any pros or cons to doing it one way over the other, if optional?

Also, my last question - I have read up on self-employment taxing in the US, previewed the tax forms, etc. But I also seem to run into information about requiring a TIN if you run your own business. My question is, since I am self-employed doing freelance work from home (this will continue once I move to the US, but from US sources I predict), and have no employees and a very modest income, do I purely file with self-employment tax paperwork, or do I actually register myself as a business in the US, or specifically in Michigan where I will live? Or is that only if you run a business employing others etc?

Your response is appreciated. Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your SSN (which you will get soon after you move to US) will serve as your tax ID.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D