Canadian moving to the U.S tax question?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stanley

Canadian moving to the U.S tax question?

Post by stanley »

My apologies if this has been covered a thousand times before, I would appreciate some help though from you gurus who know.

When I moved to the U.S, I will have been in Canada for 208 days of the tax year which will mean I will have 157 days in the U.S.

How do I avoid paying tax on the entire years income to both countries. Can I just simply file returns to each country for the amount earned in that country?
stanley

Post by stanley »

Let me add to this, the fact that for the 208 days in Canada I will be considered self employed from CCRA standpoint. I will be making a transition from a 1099 employee to a regular "W2" employee with the same company on the 209th day.

Sure would appreciate some direction on this.
stanley

Post by stanley »

Part 3 of my original question. I have a U.S bank account that is a "sister" bank to my Canadian bank. Bearing in mind I'm a 1099 employee and my employer simply mails my check to my U.S bank for deposit which I then have transferred to my Canadian account, can this create any tax complications for me. I know that if I were to stay in Canada I would only file with CCRA. Thoughts anyone?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Forget "days" for Canadaian tax purposes.

You are considered an Emigrant when you move away, be it on January 2nd or December 2oth.

You will not be taxed on foreign income after your departurte date.

Please read over The "Emigrants" guide from CRA.

For US taxes you will have several choices, as outlined in IRS Pub 519.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>

PS I mightr suggest that if you have something to add to your own post, why not edit it rather than add another post. Just a suggestion.
stanley

Post by stanley »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
PS I mightr suggest that if you have something to add to your own post, why not edit it rather than add another post. Just a suggestion.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I will do so next time. I haven't posted here in a long time and I forgot about the edit feature.[:I]

Thanks for the reply and help.