What happens to our RRSPs if we move back to the US?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eortlund

What happens to our RRSPs if we move back to the US?

Post by eortlund »

OK, as I said, I need to focus on retirement planning. My husband has an RRSP and hopefully I'll get a spousal RRSP soon (when I am eligible for an SIN). I'm really hoping to step up our contributions. Because we were not eligible for the Child Tax Benefit and UCC for 18 months after our arrival, our budget does not depend on that money, and my thinking is that we will redirect it all into the RRSPs.

Now, if we return to the US in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, what are the options for the RRSP? Can we just leave it growing in Canada and then draw from it at retirement (I know it has to be converted to an RRIF). Our Roth IRAs are sitting in the US in that way. Or will we be forced to collapse the RRSP when we leave and take a tax hit.

We are behind in our retirement planning and I want to do the right thing to maximize growth and minimize tax.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your RRSPs will continue to be sheltered when you move to US. Given your US citizenship, you need to make sure your RRSP is sheltered regardless of whwere you live, by filing Form 8891.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Thanks! That's reassuring. We have been filing form 8891.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

no problem.

based on what you have said,m you should probabaly be focussing on your RRSP and paying down your home.

A TFSA might seem attractive (and is being hyped to the max right now), but the growth is taxable in US, so be careful. RRSP and house first.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and any other debt of course!
hodini

Post by hodini »

nelsona,

when you say "be careful" because the TFSA's growth is taxable in US. Taxable on a year-to-year U.S. filing basis? Taxable only upon withdrawl? Doesn't seem attractive at all for a U.S. citizen living in Canada!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Taxable year-by-year, just like RESP.
hodini

Post by hodini »

then under this scenario there would be absolutely no advantage at all in a TFSA, Agree?

"just like an RESP." That's interesting. I was trying to get into an RESP, but because of my current temporary immigration status--my kids couldn't get SIN's and therefore I am unable to contribute for the time being.

RSSP gains are not taxed in the U.S. year-to-year when a U.S. citizen is residing in Canada. Only on withdrawl? Right?

This forum is terrific and your firm does a great job. I am a client.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I don't work for serbinski, and his contributions to this site are minimal at best.

RRSps are only taxed on withdrawal IF you elect by form 8891 to do so. Only the growth is taxed.

AS a temp resident it is pointless to get RESP or TFSA.
hodini

Post by hodini »

Why do you say "IF you elect"? Is is not required for a US citizen to report withdrawls from an RRSP if residing in Canada?

Is there an equivalent of an 8891 in Canada. A requirement to report holdings and interest on tax sheletered US instruments, i.e. IRA's, 401(k)'s, etc. ??
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you do NOT elect to defer taxation, you pay yearly.
If you DO elect, you then defer taxation until you take withdrawals.

Canada does not require any extra paperwork. Your yearly income is not taxable. You only incude withdrawal as income.
hodini

Post by hodini »

Got it. This board is excellent and appreciated. I understand you are not employed by Serbinski--I assume you run this board and you are an independent contractor who is also a Certified Public Accountant (US) and/or a Chartered Accountant (CN) ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

you see my signature.... NON PRO
hodini

Post by hodini »

didn't notice the signature tag. you're very knowledgeable. you answer all of the questions on these forums?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

only the good ones