US Medical Premiums

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

workingintheus

US Medical Premiums

Post by workingintheus »

Hopefully an easy one? I'm a Canadian resident commuting to the US on a TN visa. I have elected to participate in my US employer medical plan, my only option (as HSA where not eligible for non US residents) was a $5K/year PPO plan. My wife is self employed working from home, I've historically claimed medical expenses on her return.

Big windup to the question. Are premiums paid to a US medical plan eligible for tax credits in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Of course.

Was that the cheapest plan you could opt into? Did you look into a blue-cross travel plan (like for snowbirds), since your Cdn residency still entitles you to Provincial covergae, your employer plan is quite expensive for the minimal extra coverage you get.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

BTW, how did your HSA plan determine you were non-resident? Unless you commute every single day to canada, you could have gotten HSA (which I agree would have been the best option for you, as you will not use any of it and it become another pension).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
workingintheus

Post by workingintheus »

Thanks... Yes commute every day. Havn't research any plans outside of those provided by the employer.......looked into individual Ontario plans such as Greenshield and the like, which offered less for the same money, and there is lots to be said about the US paid medical system (very quick)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Keep track of every penny you spend (with receipts). These will ALL be eligible ofr the medical deduction on your Cdn return, since you no doubt reach the minimum.