WARNING MOVING DON’T NOTIFY CCRA ABOUT CCTB

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Greg

WARNING MOVING DON’T NOTIFY CCRA ABOUT CCTB

Post by Greg »

I want to share my experience so others don’t make the same mistake.

My Wife in my self lived in Canada from 2001 to June 2008. My wife received Canadian Child tax benefits and Universal Child care benefits. Doing what we thought was the right thing about notifying CRA of our move and thus not entitled to these payments anymore. CRA took my wife’s information and said payment would stop and everything would be taken care of (YA RIGHT)

We just received a notice from CRA that my wife owes them everything they paid to her since 2005. And they reassessed her 2005 through 2007 tax return. As being not a resident of Canada even though we where.

Needless to say they want a huge amount of money back. Someone at CRA messed up big time I looked at the reassessments and from what I can tell they thought my wife said June of 2005 or someone at CRA fat fingered a key.

We lodged a formal dispute with CRA to correct there errors.

BOTTOM LINE DON’T NOTIFY THEM LET YOUR DEPARTURE RETURN DO THE TALKING AND LET THEM COME FOR THE MONEY.
octane99

Post by octane99 »

Well, I had similar case. The difference is that I moved out in 2005 and my wife and kids stayed in Canada.

I will post my story separately. Hope it helps.
ONE WORLD
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

I had the same experience and I had already shared my experience somewhere in Feb/March of this year.
Greg

Post by Greg »

[quote="dhirenasha"]I had the same experience and I had already shared my experience somewhere in Feb/March of this year.[/quote]

I remember it, I replyed to it. Should have taken your advice.
Greg

Post by Greg »

We received a letter from CRA that the object has been accepted as valid, and current processing times are within 6 months.

So why my wife wait’s we are gathering additional evidence of her Canadian Residency.

-We have already sent them a copy of our closing papers on our house in Canada
-We have sent them our closing papers on our new home in the US
- We sent them US Customs importation forms of our Vehicle that we imported when we moved

Other thing that we are still gathering.

- Electric bills from our house in Canada that show my wife’s name on the account.
- Our old neighbors (6 total) are sending us signed statements verifying she lived there.
- Our Real estate agent that sold our house in Canada is sending us signed statement
- Our Mortgage Broker that we refinanced twice through during years in question is sending us signed statement

- Our Kids school teachers, Doctor ect. is sending us signed statement

Can anyone think of anything else that would be good as evidence?.

You know I always thought if we did have problems with Canada this would be the other way around. Us proofing Non-Residency after we moved.

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The letters will do more good than any bills or transaction rcords, since, of course, OWNING a property and LIVING there are two separate things.

School report cards would even be better than school letters.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Once again thanks for you prompt reply Nelsona.

We have all the kids Provincial report cards, along with Statements from there daycare centers.

“OWNING a property and LIVING there are two separate thingsâ€￾.

That’s basically the same impression I got from them on the Closing paper work from our house in Canada because even Non- Residence can own and sell property. This is why I started to purse other evidence such as the letters ect.
dowager

Post by dowager »

I did not have any problems like that when I informed them of my change of residence status. They had me refund the Child Tax Benefit but for the correct period. I wrote in with a letter rather than a phone call though, which might avoid the problems you might have had.