US citizen, consultant in CAN - should I use S Corp?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

usconsultant

US citizen, consultant in CAN - should I use S Corp?

Post by usconsultant »

I am a US citizen with an offer to work in Toronto, Canada for 1-2 years on NAFTA based work permit. I am trying to understand what the tax implications are and if the net income to me will be worthwhile to take the consulting offer. Here is my situation. I appreciate any help from this board.

SITUATION
- I will continue to have my home in US where my family will continue to live while I work in Canada for 1-2 years. I plan to be visiting US home once every 2-4 weeks; occasionally my family may visit me in Canada.

- I have an S corporation registered in North Carolina, USA. For any work I do through this company in the US, I pay corporate US taxes, and pay individual income taxes in the US on the amount I take as salary from the S corp (after deducting expenses)

QUESTIONS
- Is it beneficial for me to take the payment from the Canadian company through my S corp, or as an individual?

- What taxes (income, GST/PST etc.) I have to pay if I take payment from the Canadian client through my S corp in the US?

- What taxes (income, GST/PST etc.) I have to pay if I take payment from the Canadian client as an individual?

- I assume that I am not liable to pay retirement or healthcare contributions in Canada since I pay social security and medicate in the US. Is this correct? What filings will I have to make in this regard?

- The Canadian client has indicated that they will not make any withdrawal for me; I will be responsible for getting required waivers, licenses etc. What do I need to do so that the Canadian client does not make any withdrawals?

- Canadian client mentioned my getting WSIB Clearance? How long does this take? What do I have to do?

- Can you recommend any CPA/Legal firm that can advise me on these matters without charging a fortune (I know this is a subjective term)?

Thanks in advance.