Reporting RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

geekinfinity

Reporting RRSP

Post by geekinfinity »

I know this topics has been discussed before but the last thread seems to be 6 months ago so I thought I will ask again since the rules may have changed.

My situation: Became a us resident (income tax purpose) in 1998. I honestly did not know I have to make an explicit election to defer the taxation on interests via tax treaty. I thought it is automatic.
(Stupid me.) The interests and dividends accumulated over the years is about $4,000.

I can see a couple of options.

1) Send in a 1040 X with the election and claiming the cumulative amount of $4,000.

2) Write a separate letter to the IRS admitting own stupidity and claim the $4,000 over the past years and take whatever penalty that the IRS dishes out.

I really would like to talk to a tax consultant familar with this situation before I go forward. I am in the Detroit area. Can anybody recommend someone in Detroit? Serbinski is in Chicago. I don't really want to drive to Chicago or is this simple enough that the advice can be given over the phone.

Thanks.

Ed.
geekinfinity

Post by geekinfinity »

Sorry. I did not realize that question similar to mine has been answered under 8891. I will go read them now. If I have questions, I will post it there. Sorry again.

However, I am still interested whether anybody know a good tax consultant in the Detroit area.

Thank you.