I want to work in the States

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

deanr

I want to work in the States

Post by deanr »

I am a Canadian graphic designer (I would be allowed to work in the US under NAFTA) and I want to work in the States. I have talked to some agencies in the US and they said they would like to work with me on a freelance basis but I would have to live there to get the work, but as far as I know I can't move down there unless I have an offer of employment. I'm just wondering what I should do.

Should I talk to the agencies again and get letters from them saying they would hire me on contract if I move there?

Which form would I have to start filling out/researching if i am even allowed to move down there as a freelance graphic designer.

And if I am allowed to move to the US as a freelance designer am I allowed to talk to other design studios in the US in the hopes of getting additional freelance clients?

Thanks