Converting IRA into RRSP and increasing RRSP cap

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

Converting IRA into RRSP and increasing RRSP cap

Post by CdnAmerican »

I am a USC living in Canada. If I close a US IRA and withdraw the full amount from it, I understand that I can increase my RRSP cap by the amount that I withdrew, as long as I move that withdrawal into an RRSP. How, exactly, does the RRSP cap change? Do I have to make a declaration for that to happen, or is it automatic? Thanks in advance!
Not a professional opinion.
pl0910001

Re: Converting IRA into RRSP and increasing RRSP cap

Post by pl0910001 »

I would take a look at this document which outlines a few of the scenarios. As you are a US citizen, i'm not sure all would apply, but it's a good starting point. https://www.sunnet.sunlife.com/files/ad ... k_RRIF.pdf
nelsona

Re: Converting IRA into RRSP and increasing RRSP cap

Post by nelsona »

It is not that the cap (contribution room)changes, it is that the transfer does not affect you cap, ie. does not count against your cap.

As pl honted, this might not be a great move for USC.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D