CPP/QPP Overpayment for multi provincial employee (ON-QC)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cullen

CPP/QPP Overpayment for multi provincial employee (ON-QC)

Post by cullen »

Nelson et al

I have a client that worked in QC and ON (before moving to the US) and had >1K CPP/QPP overpayment. Overpayment claimed on T1 and subsequent CRA reassesment reduced refund by this same amount and suggested that the overpayment be claimed on the TP1. Tax software did not allocate this however, I am suspecting that this is a CRA goof. Do you agree? Is there a multiprovincial agreement (or CRA to Rev QC agreement) to allocate this overpayment?

I envision Rev QC telling me to get it back from CRA and so forth
Joe
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, what was his last province of residence? I suspect that since you filed with MRQ, it was quebec, thus they have the last word on this.

The guide clearly states that credit for overpayment is to be claimed on the QC return.

If it wasn't QC, then you would not have filed with MRQ at all.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... 8-eng.html
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2204/README.html

Form T2204 also states that this form was not to be used if resident of QC on Dec 31.

Remember that in the year of emigration all insrructions which refer to "province of residence on Dec 31", are to be interpreted as "province of residence on last date of residency".
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cullen

Post by cullen »

Bingo!

I looked for that info on the Rev QC and CRA sites and followed every link that I foiund. Intuit Profile software did not pick it up either.

Thanks for your help
Joe