What should I do with my US stock ?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

maricami

What should I do with my US stock ?

Post by maricami »

2 years ago I moved back to Canada (after 9 years in Calif.). When I got my new Canadian address I called up Schwabs in the US to change my address. They said they couldn't change it for an international address and I had to close my account (sell my stock). I didn't want to sell, so they offered me to change it to another US address instead, which I did (friend's address). But I have always felt uneasy about this situation because I am not a US resident anymore. It's been like that for 2 years now, what should I do ? Is it okay to keep going like that or should I find a way to transfer my account to Canada ?

I heard that if I had an e-trade account (for example) that I could transfer to Canada because e-trade is also in Canada. But I couldn't find any Schwabs in Canada to do the same thing. Is this possible... no Schwabs in Canada !?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You could alway have MOVED your stock to a Cdn broker, without selling. This could be done with any broker.

Only mutual funds can't be moved to Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
maricami

Post by maricami »

Thanks, I'll look into it.

But is it an actual problem to keep my stock in the US ? What would happen with taxes on my gain (CAN & US) when I decide to sell ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Its not a problem. Unless you are a US citizen, you aren't taxable in US on cap gains. Dividends are taxed flat.

You report these all in Canada just as if they were held there
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cfn2007

Post by cfn2007 »

If Maricami held the US stocks at a Canadian broker, they would withhold 15% for the IRS which he would use as a credit against his Canadian tax, right? However, in this case the US broker thinks he lives in the US (and if he is not a USC, he would not file a 1040), so how does the IRS get their 15% cut?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

On DIVIDENDS, he would have to file a 1040NR to pay the flat dividend tax. he will be issued a tax receipt, so IRS will know that there has been dividend income for this taxpayer.

The CAP GAINS are not taxable in US.