Canada T3 and US 1099-DIV

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dmendel

Canada T3 and US 1099-DIV

Post by dmendel »

How do boxes on T3 for a Canadian mutual fund match up to boxes on a US 1099-DIV? For example, what are considered "ordinary dividends" for US tax purposes? (ie, those reported on 1099-DIV box 1a): The amount reported on T3 box 49 or box 50? I assume T3 box 21 ("capital gains") is the equivalent of 1099-DIV box 2a?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think you can figure it out.

One thing though, I'm pretty sure Cdn mutual fund distributions that are considered 'cap gains' in canada, are considered ordinary dividends for IRS purposes.

So, all your dividends are ordinary.. and are not considered qualified dividends btw.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dmendel

Post by dmendel »

Well, I can't seem to figure it out.

I understand that Canadian mutual fund divs are ordinary and not qualified, but are you saying that amounts in T3 box 21 ("Capital Gains") should be treated as ordinary divs for IRS purposes and NOT capital gains to be reported on Schedule D line 13? So I put amounts in T3 box 21 on 1040 line 9a?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is what i said.

The same principle exists for US mutal funds reported on a Cdn tax return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D