W8-BEN questions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

darkelfproductions

W8-BEN questions

Post by darkelfproductions »

I represent a small corporation in Canada who has been hired to work in the US for a short (10 days) period of time with me as a project supervisor. The company initially supplied me with a W-7 which was the incorrect form. I managed to find the W-8BEN and have worked out that is is the correct form that they require, but even reading the instructions for the form seems to require instructions.

Furthermore, they indicate that there are ways of reducing the 30% withholding (line 10 on the form) but give not information about how to find these articles and numbers. I managed to find the Canadian treaty, but being a "art guy" and not a lawyer, reading it was nigh incomprehensible.

Basically as I understand it, I should be able to NOT have any taxes withheld, but how I'm to go about that seems more difficult that a NASA mission..

I appreciate any assitance,
Sean Stephens
Dark Elf Productions Inc.