trusts

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

unionjack

trusts

Post by unionjack »

I have some money in a money market fund with RBC Securities and noticed that the T3 they sent says its a "statement of trust income allocations." (They seem to be referring to the fund as a trust.) Is this the kind of "trust" that the IRS means when it asks if you have a stake in "foreign trusts" on 1040 schedule B?

I can't find a clear answer on IRS site; by "trust" I think they mean tax-free instruments that one person manages for another's benefit, but am not sure if this is right or how broad a term it is (i.e. does it include the kind of fund that I have at RBC.)

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm a bit confused about it and was hoping someone here would be able to help clarify it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
unionjack

Post by unionjack »

Thanks.
unionjack

Post by unionjack »

Thanks.