Social Security posts Here please!!!

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Social Security posts Here please!!!

Post by nelsona »

From getting your SSN card, to making sure that you get what's coming to you from Social Security, both now and when you retire, post questions here.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
wildcard

Post by wildcard »

You likely will find this on the immigration forums but, wait at least 2 weeks after first TN approval to get SSN. This will (likely) put the card in your hands in about 4 weeks after getting TN, and you could have your number (call SSA) about 3 weeks after getting TN.

Otherwise, you may find yourself waiting 2-4 months for a SSN while you are "hand verified" as the SSN systems don't have any info on you from USCIS yet.
jfd5356

Post by jfd5356 »

Hi Nelson,

(Sorry, my first attempt at posting my question here failed, so here it is)

My question is about collecting CPP and Social Security benefits at age 60 living in Canada, but a US Citizen.

Info:

*US Citizen who has met 40 qtrs requirement with Social Security
*Landed Immigrant of Canada
*Since arriving in Canada end of 2001 I have worked 2 short jobs, one with Census Canada and one with HR Block (few mths each)
*I contributed to CPP with both jobs even though small amounts and received a tax refund because under the 3500 minimum on Census job.
*I earned a little more with HR Block $3,800 or so for 3 mth job.
*This is the extent of my earnings in Canada to date.

Question:

*Will Canada integrate my small CPP amounts with my SS in the US to get a full CPP pension in Canada along with my SS benefits OR
*Will my SS pension be all I will get, being I've contributed so little to the CPP program in Canada?

Thx for your advice!

jo
wildcard

Post by wildcard »

I dont think you've worked long enough in Canada to qualify for anything from CPP.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

WC is probaly correct.

But, If you had worked even one full year in Canada, such that your CPP contributions had not been returned to you, you would have gotten something from CPP.

Because you qualify for SS on your own merits, you don't need notr could you use any Cdn credits.

CPP does not use any SS credits, since it has so little qualifying requirements, ie. one year.

So you will get SS, and likely no CPP.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>

P.s. This illustrates why one shouldn't go to HR Block to get your taxes done.
jfd5356

Post by jfd5356 »

I couldn't agree with you more, Nelson:) One of the reasons I didn't stay at HR:)