Cross border portfolio manager?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dbaezner

Cross border portfolio manager?

Post by dbaezner »

Hi. I'm looking for a portfolio manager for cross-border investing and am wondering if your firm can recommend someone with whom your clients work? I now live permanently back in Canada and manage a self-directed IRA through TD Ameritrade, but since they've been bought by Charles Schwab, I'm concerned they may kick their Canadian clients to the curb as not cost-effective for their business. I'm not having much luck finding an alternative to them, although Raymond James has a number of cross-border wealth managers, many of whom are expensive and have high minimums. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
nelsona

Re: Cross border portfolio manager?

Post by nelsona »

Scwab will handle IRAs for CDn residents, so long as they can prove that theu at one time lived in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dbaezner

Re: Cross border portfolio manager?

Post by dbaezner »

That's funny. They're the ones I worried would kick us out of the new combined firm.

Thank you for the tip.
Dirk