Advance payments of premium tax credit letter

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ewax

Advance payments of premium tax credit letter

Post by ewax »

Hello,

I received a letter from the IRS informing me that "according to their records" I had received advance payments of the premium tax credit but had failed to file form 8962 on my 2019 return for reconciling these payments. It also indicates I should have received form 1095-A from my healthcare marketplace indicating the information I need to file form 8962. No form like that was sent to me.

This seems to describe the letter I received: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/reconci ... tax-credit

I live in Canada and have been claiming bona fide residence for several years now with form 2555. I saw references searching online to form 8965 for claiming an exemption from the health coverage requirement, which I never filed, however starting in 2019 this form was made obsolete anyway because of there currently being no penalty for not having coverage. I also noticed looking at previous returns that prior to 2019, there was a checkbox on the 1040 return that read "Full-year health care coverage or exempt" which I always checked, but it is now absent and there doesn't seem to be any questions about health coverage.

Anyway, I don't know what they're talking about in regards to advance payments or form 1095-A as I have not requested advance payments of anything and never received this form and obviously have no interest in purchasing US health coverage, being a bona fide resident of Canada.

Does anyone have any insight on this or what I should do? I tried calling 866-682-7451, extension 568 as indicated in the link above for asking questions but it says due to a high volume of calls they are rejecting my call. Thanks in advance for any help with this.