CPP Direct Deposit US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dogwood

CPP Direct Deposit US

Post by dogwood »

I am going to receive CPP in U.S. I am filling out the Foreign Direct Deposit Enrollment Form for CPP and have to include my US bank swift code. Does that mean that a CPP payment going to the U.S comes in as a wire transfer? I know that my bank charges a fee for an incoming wire so want to avoid that.

FYI....It was impossible for me to download the Foreign Direct Deposit Enrolment (actual typo on the CDN form) Form because the site uses an outdated security configuration. All of my devices blocked me from going there because the TLS version used on that site is outdated and insecure. I reached out to a Canadian relative and they got the form for me. I don't know if it is just because their security was not as thorough as ours. However when I downloaded the form my Canadian relative sent me, Norton "sanitized" it for me on my computer.
Cdninga

Re: CPP Direct Deposit US

Post by Cdninga »

I just finished filling out the same form. For US residents, we just need to fill in the "Bank Sort Code", not the SWIFT Code. This is outlined in the online instructions. https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/recgen/dd ... d-eng.html

For most US banks, the "Sort Code" is the 9 digit routing number found on your checks.

When I downloaded the form a couple of weeks ago, I had the same issue that you did with the outdated security config. I had to override my browser fail safe to download it. That issue seems to have been fixed. At least in Firefox, I can now download the form easily.
nelsona

Re: CPP Direct Deposit US

Post by nelsona »

It will be a simple direct deposit, with no taxes withheld.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D