Capital gain from currency exchange?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cathy

Capital gain from currency exchange?

Post by Cathy »

I exchanged large amount of canadian dollars to US dollars in 2004. I received this money in early last year in Canadian dollars as I withdrew RRSP. I reported RRSP income I received, in US dollars on the date of withdrawal and everything was good with IRS.

I kept the money in my canadian account until late in the year to get a better exchange rate. Then I actually made money from the exchange. My gain was about US$200 from the currency exchange. I just found out that I supposed to report the capital gain? or so to IRS on currency exchange.

I have to go back and do my taxes again to report this to IRS. But I don't know where to report this. Do I have to file Schedule D? I read in the schedule D, it says use worksheet on page 34 of 1040 instruction to figure out taxes or use schedule D on certain situations. I have no experience with schedule D. Please help
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Schedule D is purely an IRS tax matter, which is really beyond the scope of this board in my opinion.

Get your self some tax software, and schedule D become simple.

But, yes, you have to treat your Cdn dollars as if they were a mutual fund, and each time you buy and sell CDn dollars (for example everytime you exchange money or buy something with Cdn dollars) you are actaully making a transaction that triggers cap gains/losses in US terms.

There is a lower threshold to this, such that you do not have to keep track of each time you bought a sick of gum, and it is exactly $200. If you made less than $200 US in a single transaction it is not reprtable, over $200 is all reportable.

IRS publication 525.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>